Friday, September 11, 2009

Recognize and Remember

I can't help but think of the past on this day. I remember brushing my teeth, watching the morning news when the national news interrupted showing the Twin Towers. Then, like everyone else, I spent the the rest of time trying to make sense of it all. I remember praying that night in tears asking what now? Why all this ruthlessness?

My sincere and naive wish in this world is to have world peace, just like this woman, Jehane Noujaim. And like her I feel it can begin to be accomplished through means of self expression: music, dance, art and film. I'm sad I just discovered her today. I'm even more sad I missed her Pangea Day. Because if you know me well enough, you know that I always love it when people get together for a peace loving time, and I feel the mediums that does it most effectively the vast majority of the time are the arts, such as music, dance, art and film.

Jehane gave this inspiring TED Talk and in it she says, "the biggest danger in our future is understanding the other." What would happen if we truly understood the plight of our foe, or our friend, or the guy stole from me last week? I think we would be better off. I know it may sound overly simple, but I really don't think there's much more to it.


1 comment:

Becks said...

Holy crap Sam. Thank you soooo much for posting that!!! It was amazing. Also, the eagle has landed. The birdie is in the hole. The fat man walks alone. You knoooow . . . the poopsmith has a bucket!! Okay fine. I'll speak plain English. I transferred the money earlier this week. Word. To your mother.