Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First days

I don't think any new step in life has kept me awake like this one has: My first day of teaching.  First day of kindergarten, first day in middle or high school, first day in college, my first day as a missionary, first day married...oh wait, that hasn't happened yet...none of these gave me the jeebers as much as my first day of teaching.  So after catching up and getting some assurances from my friends Kenji and Sarah Ruth, I laid there restless in bed.  My mind was racing about today!  It wasn't until after a ham sandwich, vanilla ice cream and an extremely healthy dose of facebook that I was able to fall asleep...at 3:15 am.

I've just gotta say, teaching in Canada is nothing like I saw it in the states. More respect from students, more appreciation from the community and more camaraderie from other teachers. The first day here for students is like new student orientation.  They come for an hour to get their schedules, lockers and meet the teachers (although mostly the high achievers ever get to talking to a teacher).  So tonight will be another sleepless night as I get ready for yet another first day of teaching, actually being with the kids. I'm incredibly excited, nervous, anxious and enthralled at this whole experience.

There's a part of me that feels like this all of the time.

7 comments:

Matt J said...

If I was a girl and you were my teacher, I would have the most bodacious crush on you.

Britt said...

Congrats on the job! Exciting stuff! I'm jealous that you are teaching band. I had to take a general music position this year. Whenever you are feeling under the weather just think...it could be worse, you could be teaching general music! j/k It's not THAT bad! :)

B said...

Its probably really nice finding the other teachers and your students to have a sense of respect, it will probably make the whole process easier for everyone. I am SO HAPPY THAT YOU HAVE A BLOG!!!!

Rebecca and Nick said...

I wish I was a student in your class! That would be so cool! I can only imagine what that would be like. Sam, you rock.

Julianne said...

I bet you won't sleep much your first day married. Just going to throw that one out there.

Tyler Bird said...

wow thats cool canada is different culturally!

Tyler

austinmcraig said...

You're an awesome teacher. I'll bet you're the students favorite.