Monday, November 10, 2008

Remembrance Day

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day in Canada. It's a pretty big deal here and yet, I feel bad because I know almost nothing about it. I've even been to Flanders Field in Belgium and all the memorials there. I do feel a deep sense of respect and appreciation for what has come and gone before, but not an understanding, not even a conviction. I feel sadly empty about it. But if there's anything I'm able to do, it's to serve my community well. Today the concert band played in our school's yearly Remembrance Day assembly. Adults were touched when the band played O Canada and graciously thanked me for it. Maybe they cry every year, but whatever the case, I'm honored to be part of it.

1 comment:

Kinsey said...

You're turning into a 'real' Canadian! Nice work. :) I noticed today that Americans don't do a ton for this holiday, but I guess they make up for it on July 1? Haha I'm moving home after Winter semester and I won't be that far from you!